Ian drove me down to the local police station. An officer was just turning off the station lights and we met him at the front door. I explained that I was there to make a complaint of assault. The officer continued out of the front door, locking it and stood on the deck and asked what it was about. I explained again, that I wanted to make a complaint of assault. I felt that the officer wasn't interested whatsoever. He explained that he was just about to go off duty and made no attempt to gather any details from me. To be honest, I wasn't suprised, not by his response in general, but more so, his response to me as a human being. My face was still very badly bruised and it was obvious that I had possibly been assaulted as I was claiming. Ian asked him, if it would be better if we went to the central station. The officer said that he would call them from his RT and see if anyone was available. Apparently, no one was. Neither Ian nor I moved. This experience had dumbfounded us both. I almost laughed, not at the situation, but at myself for thinking I had a right to stand up for myself. The officer sighed... then turned to me and said, I can smell alcohol! I explained that I had had two glasses of wine and that it was now at this moment that I felt the courage to come to the police.
The officer told me, that he wasn't all that interested in taking a statement from someone who had been drinking. I am not sure how many abused women this officer has ever had to deal with, but I was flabbergasted at his response. I am also amazed that he made no attempt to question Ian as to who he was, nor to ask me if I believed myself to be in further danger. When he realised that neither Ian nor I had moved, the officer sighed, took his pad from his back pocket and finally took my details and limited details of my complaint. He put the pad back in his pocket and said that he would let his supervisor know and that someone would contact me in the morning. He had also taken Ian's contact details. Then we left.
Ian's response, once we got back in the car was exact...'What the fuck'? I said, I told you! I have experienced this response by officers once before, when I tried to have my ex-husband up for assault, and that assault was nothing like this one. We both talked on the way back to his place about how anyone, especially abused women, get to be heard. The officer had at no time asked if I was safe, if I needed immediate help, if Ian was the perpertrator, if I had a safe place to go, had I sought medical help, or did I need him to do anything to help me at this time. My actual response to Ian was, no you know why women and children are being murdered!
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment